We all hope that our children enjoy a good life. And their children, too...
Our civilizations have achieved amazing feats: about 8,000,000,000 human individuals are alive on this planet, living on average more peaceful, longer and easier lives than any earlier generation. Knowledge helps.
What if useful knowledge could be passed on for as long as life existed?
- These pages form an open source think tank: what if the growth of knowledge and the power it brings could be combined with long term existence?
- What if civilization continued?
- Continued to develop and refine its knowledge on this planet indefinitely - as long as life is possible - as long as the sun shines. Civilization that lasts.
- If that perspective is helpful to you, you are invited to improve the pages on this site now: log in and click on the "edit" tab at the top of the page. Assume information continues to be deliberately passed along, no matter what the future civilizations look like. Try to deduct rather than predict.
- If there's no edit tab even when you're logged in, use the discussion page or contact the foundation by email to propose changes. (Originally, all pages were open to access from everybody, but some were protected from editing by non-registered users to reduce spam.)
- Please check the help pages and guidelines first. It also helps to know about which relevant thoughts exist or which structures exist on this site. Note that all the blue or underlined text are links that you can follow. click here for an entry to the discussion.
- If you're looking to do something else, you could check out initiatives listed here or actions discussed here. There are many worthy initiatives. Please limit your contributions on this site to thoughts related to the assumption above. (To maintain focus, clearly unrelated content will be removed.)
Why should you care? Click here for a motivation.
In the long run we are all dead, as was famously observed by John Maynard Keynes. Life, however, should be possible on earth for several billions of years. While self aware beings are alive, it should be possible to pass on knowledge for the benefit of those alive and their descendants. To let civilization continue warrants a sincere effort, everything within our control. We might be standing in a line that continues for millions of generations with individuals who realize life is wonderful. There is no necessity that ensures this happens, so it is worth thinking about what it would require to try to bring it about. Please join the effort.
Content and debate
- Questions to consider and debate what could be derived from this assumption
- Motivations to think about why this is relevant
- Conditions of sustainable and resilient civilizations
- Actions to be taken to achieve sustainable and resilient civilizations
- Build a device that converts Fuel to Food
- Write a Bill of Rights of Future Generations
- Letters (of Utrecht)
- Related topics to add references or learn about similar work
- A short video about ideas that helped start milliongenerations.org
- Overview over the pages on this website (select a namespace, the namespaces "Main" and "Milliongenerations" contain most pages)
Community: improving and enabling this site
- milliongenerations.org to learn about this project
- The environment to suggest improvements for the site
- Current events to check out what urgently needs to be done
- Foundation to contribute to the foundation behind milliongenerations.org
Criticism of this project
- Criticism for disapproval or faults of milliongenerations.org and warnings about its dangers
This site has a lot of text and all the blue links need a long time to go through. We hope that you'll stretch your attention span and find that it's worth it. If you know how to say all this better and shorter, please do, and make it more likely that posterity can benefit from what we know and do.