What do you think of the effort on this site? Please add your comment below, preferably with (user)name and date, leaving the comments of others in place.
- There also is a special page devoted to criticism on various aspects of this effort
- And there are discussion ("talk") pages "behind" all pages on this site, e.g. on the motivation, assumption, environment and foundation.
... please add
Requests for modifications of the main page
... please add
- quick link and navigation to LETTERS while this is a busy activity. --Michael 11:50, 28 August 2011 (UTC). done --Sysop 12:39, 5 October 2011 (UTC)
--Anybody 09:12, 25 July 2010 (UTC) This is way too long. Let's try to have the main page much shorter and move a lot of contents to secondary pages:
What if knowledge could be passed on for as long as life existed?
- What if civilization continued?
- Continued on this planet indefinitely - as long as life is possible - as long as the sun shines. Civilization that lasts. Assume it does, no matter what it looks like.
We all hope that our children enjoy a good life. And their children, too...
Our civilizations have achieved amazing feats: close to 7 billion humans on this planet, on average living more peaceful, longer and easier lives than any generation before us.
- Imagine that civilization in some form or other will continue on this planet for as long as the sun shines.
- next para (The thought) > assumption - along with duplicate previous sentence
- next para (This site) to Milliongenerations:About milliongenerations.org
- next para (To help...) to Milliongenerations:Motivation
- If you want to help, you can improve most pages on this site now: log in and click on the "edit" tab at the top of the page. If there's no edit tab even when you're logged in, contact the foundation by email to propose changes. (Originally, all pages were open to access from everybody, but were protected from editing by non-registered users to reduce vandalism.) Please check the help pages and guidelines first. It also helps to know about which relevant thoughts exist or which structures exist on this site. Note that all the blue or underlined text are links that you can follow. click here for an entry to the discussion.
- If you're looking to do something else, you could check out initiatives listed here or actions discussed here.
In the long run we are all dead, as was famously observed by John Maynard Keynes. Life, however, should be possible on earth for several billions of years. While self aware beings are alive, it should be possible to pass on knowledge for the benefit of those alive and their descendants. To let civilization continue warrants a sincere effort, everything within our control. We might be standing in a line that continues for millions of generations with individuals who realize life is wonderful. There is no necessity that ensures this happens, so it is worth thinking about what it would require to try to bring it about. Please join the effort.
- Life is wonderful.
Content and debate
- Questions to consider and debate what could be derived from this assumption
- Motivations to think about why this is relevant
- Conditions of sustainable and resilient civilizations
- Actions to be taken to achieve sustainable and resilient civilizations
- Write a Bill of Rights of Future Generations
- Related topics to add references or learn about similar work
- A short video about ideas that helped start milliongenerations.org
- Overview over the pages on this website (select a namespace, the namespaces "Main" and "Milliongenerations" contain most pages)
Community: improving and enabling this site
- milliongenerations.org to learn about this project
- The environment to suggest improvements for the site
- Current events to check out what urgently needs to be done
- Foundation to contribute to the foundation behind milliongenerations.org
Criticism of this project
- Criticism for disapproval or faults of milliongenerations.org and warnings about its dangers
--Anybody 09:12, 25 July 2010 (UTC)
agree (minor adjustments made) --Michael 22:06, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
done --Sysop 19:22, 5 August 2010 (UTC)
- Is it assured that human civilizations of some form or other continue on this planet indefinitely?
- Imagine that civilization in some form or other continued on this planet for as long as the sun shines!