This page is about a public pledge that makes us care about the existence of future generations
To ensure that everything within our control is done to let civilization continue.
This would include that the effects of decisions and actions are always tested against the possible effect on future generations.
Brainstorm for pledges
- I will do everything in my power to let civilization last
- I will take no action that has the potential to reduce the capabilities of future generations, my children's children, to achieve well-being
- I will take into account my actions on not just the local, national, and international community, but the communities of the future
- I will carefully consider the role of profit and growth, and understand at the very least that it is a means to an end and not an end in itself
- I will let ideas bring life
- What pledge could be useful?
- What pledge is strong enough to make a difference?
- What pledge is clear enough to have an outcome one could estimate?
The pledge should express a
- commonly shared value
- be easily accessible
- be relevant and
- translatable to actual actions and public decisions
The pledge should be
- easy to adopt
- give clear benefits to those who sign it
- punitive to those who break it
- a means to improve the chances for future generations to be
Thoughts for implementation
- How do we get influential and powerful people to commit to the pledge?
- How can we make spin-offs from the pledge?
- Instead of environmental impact agencies and consulting firms, future generational impact agencies and reports.
- Investors willing and interested to invest in business concepts that take these ideas fully into account
- Rewriting of the concept of sustainability
- The pledge not to raise taxes by Grover Norquist seems an effective means to influence political decisions. (This can be an inspiration about the means even to one who disagrees about the ends)
- ONE, oppose any and all efforts to increase the marginal income tax rates for individuals and/or businesses; and
- TWO, oppose any net reduction or elimination of deductions and credits, unless matched dollar for dollar by further reducing tax rates.